So, you've made the leap and decided it's time to replace your factory 6.0L EGR cooler. Upgrading your EGR cooler is straightforward if you're familiar with the process, but our Bullet Proof Diesel Technicians have learned a few tricks along the way to make the install easier. Below are some EGR cooler installation tips:
1. Use a silicone sealer on the intake to the EGR cooler flange gasket. This helps prevent small exhaust leaks.
2. DO NOT reuse turbocharger mounting bolts. Use new bolts when re-installing the turbocharger and torque to factory specs. Old bolts can come loose, causing the charger to vibrate on the pedestal mount. This can cause noise that resonates in the exhaust system, damaging the turbocharger.
3. Clean the injector pressure regulator (IPR) screen during the install (see image below). Inspect the screen and see if it's blocked by debris that you can remove before re-installing. Screens and O-rings are easy to replace, and this is the prime opportunity to do so.
4. Loosen the up-pipe-to-exhaust manifold bolts during the disassembly to make installation easier. Install the new EGR, but DO NOT tighten the band clamps on the up-pipe. Lightly snug them after the turbocharger is mounted, but again, don't tighten.
5. Check to ensure all surfaces are flush under the band clamps and then tighten the clamps evenly before re-tightening the manifold bolts. Images of all clamps and bolts are shown below.
6. One last tip! Our technicians have found, on occasion, it's necessary to loosen the turbocharger mounting bolts before you clamp the band clamps in order to make a better seal on the charger flange.
Installing a BulletProof EGR cooler for the 6.0L (featuring the patented H-CORE internal technology) is a great way to get the most out of your Power Stroke and protect its components for years to come. And with a lifetime warranty, you can't really go wrong!
Please leave a comment below or contact us at 888-967-6653 if you have any questions.
You can also contact us by email here.